This is a delicious lemon meringue cupcake recipe using my Boutique Bake lemon drizzle cake mix. Lemon and meringue is a match made in taste heaven! Also by using our mix and a jar of lemon curd, this really will take you no time to whip up and become a domestic goddess in the kitchen!!
If you can’t get your hands on one of my Boutique Bake cake mixes (list of stockists here), I have included a recipe for lemon cupcakes below!
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
For the Meringue Topping:
1) Heat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
2) In a mixing bowl, beat your ‘Boutique Bake’ lemon drizzle cake mix with the butter and eggs or else add in the ‘alternative cupcake recipe ingredients’ and beat together.
3) Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for approx. 18 minutes until a skewer poked into the cupcakes comes away clean.
4) When you remove them from the oven, combine the drizzle mix provided with the juice of one lemon (or 50g caster sugar with the juice of 1 lemon)
5) Prick your warm cupcakes all over and pour the drizzle over them.
6) Once your cupcakes have cooled, spread about a dessert spoon of lemon curd on top of each cupcake.
7) Meanwhile, place the egg whites into a clean bowl, and using an electric mixer, whisk until stiff peaks form, then whisk in your sugar, a little at a time.
8) Keep whisking until the mixture looks glossy and has thickened, it will look a bit like shaving foam.
9) Spoon the mixture into an icing bag with a star shaped nozzle if you have one or freezer bag and snip off the end to pipe.
10) Pipe a swirl of meringue on top of each cupcake.11) Use a blow torch (if you have one!) to lightly brown and toast the meringue
For a video tutorial showing exactly how to make these ‘Lemon Meringue Cupcakes’ click HERE!